Information governance and compliance risks
In recent years, law firms have faced major challenges and risks in managing physical and electronic records:
- Clients specifying strict retention policies in outside counsel guidelines
- A growing volume of electronic records across multiple repositories — from document management systems and file shares to email and other business applications
- Aging physical records in offsite storage — costly to store and difficult to track
- Managing confidentiality and access to sensitive client matter information
- Lack of support for legacy records tools such as LegalKEY
Now, with more employees than ever working remotely, firms are also contending with new questions: Is it OK for employees to print client matter documents at home? And perhaps more urgently, are employees and clients using Microsoft Teams to collaborate in compliance with firm and client policies?